Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why, Why, Why - Run!

I was talking with one of my friends about goals, and the process we all go through, but so many struggle to succeed. She felt that one of the reasons there were so many failures was because people did not define the why. They did not really boil it down to what is really motivating them, and it is usually not what you think. Usually you have to ask why a couple of times before you come up with a real answer.
I usually hate the whole real answer process. It usually takes me a couple of days or weeks to really come up with a real answer.
I will take you through some of the process.
Why do I want to complete a marathon?
It will prove that I can.
Why is proving that I can important?
To show others the things that I can accomplish.
Why is that important?
Validation. This is not a good reason. This is looking for external acceptance of others, but a real goal will create a positive internal emotion.
This is one of those dead ends that I talked about that frustrate me, but I still feel a drive to push for the goal of a marathon, so there must be more reasons.
Why do I want to complete a marathon?
Because I love the feeling of crossing the finish line.
Why do I love that feeling?
It makes me feel successful.
Can I feel successful doing something else?
Yes.
Why do I need a marathon to make me feel successful?
A marathon stands for power over my body, to choose wisely what I eat. Control of my agency to choose to work out rather than sit on the couch and watch TV, or to sleep in that extra time. It gives me a sense of fulfillment knowing that this was me that had the focus, dedication, the persistence. I did the research on running form, nutrition, and injury. I saved up for the tools that I need to run a marathon. I am an amazing person, and I am someone who is proud of who I am.
Power, agency, and fulfillment, these are all deeply rooted necessities of life. They create a real connection to the goal. You will need this type of connection in order to really stick with your goal, and with this conviction you can really achieve anything.
That is why I Run.
To find out more visit http://toprunnersreview.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment